Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Card
























We always make cards to give parents and family members on each holiday. Usually, I have the kids trace their hands and make a hand turkey and then write on the inside of the card. We will still make those and will make these. I cut the parts for these cards on the cricut and the kids will assemble them, color the turkey and write on the inside. I have all the pieces cut for 30 students. The parts of the card: happy thanksgiving words, grass for 2 layers ( I used pop ups for a 3D grass effect), folded cards, and the turkey. The turkey is from the animal kingdom cartridge. I used the markers to have the Cricut draw the turkey and the I used the cut feature to cut the turkeys out. The turkeys were cut on manilla paper and the students will use colored pencils to finish them.
As always, when I have an art project I tie the project to our learning objectives. This projects reinforces patterns (the kids will be asked to color the feathers in an AB or ABC pattern. It is a quick way to assess their ability to make a pattern. The most important learning part of the card is the writing on the inside and on the envelope. The inside of the card is blank so we can work on letter writing skills, directionality for writing on cards, letter formation and it is a way to assess their writing ability. I can see if they are writing known words, using beginning, middle or end sounds to write words and use of punctuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment