Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Vinyl on Lampshades





















I got the idea to do this from the Capadia Designs blog. I recommend visiting her site and seeing her lamps. She gives a step by step instruction that was very helpful.
I tried it with lamps in our house. I did not make the design go all the way around the shade because my shades are divided into panels. I also tried using white vinyl, but my shades are very thick and the designs didn't show up very well. So, I used black and when the light is off they have a very light shadow. I want to make sure they stay on the shades so I am going to wait before I decorate any more shades. I really like cutting the vinyl and decorating things. A Child's Year cartridge is perfect for this, but I think there are designs on all the cartridges that will look nice in vinyl.

Just a note on buying vinyl--I ordered vinyl from ebay. It was a bulk order and I could pick 10 colors. It was cheaper than ordering the cricut vinyl, but it is thinner and isn't quite as nice as the cricut vinyl. I will use the cheaper vinyl for the classroom, but for decorating in my own house I prefer the look of the cricut vinyl. The windows that I did and all the lampshade designs were cut out of one package of the cricut vinyl. If you use design studio to plan your designs, you can get a lot of designs out of one piece of vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment