Thursday, July 23, 2009

Paper Dolls













I wanted this cartridge so I could make stick puppets for storytelling. I made the prince and the princess first out of chipboard and cardstock. I had to make them using cricut design studio so I could get the most use out of my chipboard and have them as big as possible. They are 9".
These are the steps for making them:
1. Cut the body out of chipboard. ( I ordered chipboard from e-bay the thickness is .22. I used the deep cut blade and the multi-cut feature.)
2. Cut the body out of flesh colored card stock. ( I found some very heavy flesh cardstock at Michaels.)
3. Glue the 2 bodies together. This makes the people very sturdy. (This is important when you teach kindergarten!)
4. I made the clothes following the steps in the paperdoll book and glued them on the bodies.
5. I stamped the face on with a stamp that I bought from Peachy Keen stamps.
6. I added embellishments.
7. I haven't done this yet, but I get paint stir sticks from Lowes or Home Depot every year and I will glue them on the back so the dolls will become puppets.

2nd Doll I made
I wanted to see if making the puppets out of fabric would make them sturdier. (Again, thinking of the 5 year olds who will be using them :) ) So, I made one out of fabric. The fabric is just a cotton blend that I bought on sale at Jo-Anns. I also used felt for the hair. The felt and the cotton get prepared that same way. I ironed some wonder under on the back to make the fabric stable so it wouldn't stretch when it was cut on the cricut. Wonder under (or craft fusing) is an iron on interfacing that has a paper backing on both sides. One side gets ironed to the fabric and you cut the fabric with the paper backing on the other side left on. After you cut the fabric into the shape you want, you peel the backing off and iron it onto the doll or whatever you want to adhere it to.
Steps for fabric puppet:
1. Prepare fabric. Iron on interfacing to the fabric you are going to use. Leave the paper backing on the other side.
2. Cut body out of chipboard. (.22 thickness, and at 9")
3. Cut body out of prepared flesh colored material.
4. Peel off the paper backing and iron the material to the chipboard. I used some glue too.
5. Cut the clothes and hair out of the prepared fabric. (I cut his boots out of a heavy piece of vinyl that I got in the clearance bin at Jo-Anns. The vinyl is not sticky on the back so I had to glue it on. The vinyl does not need wonder under and it cuts beautifully. I may use more vinyl for clothes in the future because it cuts so well and it can be wiped off with easier. I cut the hair out of felt for the texture. The vinyl and the felt were cut with the deep cut blade and the felt had to be cut multiple times (at least 2).
6. Peel backing off and iron the clothes and hair on to the doll.
7. Stamp the face. I used the same face stamp that I bought from Peachy Keen stamps and it stamped just as easily on the fabric.
8. Add Embellishments.

So, is the fabric puppet more sturdy? Time will tell through use, but I think it will be. I think the vinyl will hold up the best because it cuts better, doesn't need wonder under, is heavier and wipes clean. The drawback with the vinyl is the cost and limited colors. (Note: This is upholstery vinyl, not the cricut vinyl that has a sticky back). I am going to pick it up when I can find it in the clearance bin and make as many of the pieces as I can with it. (shoes, pants, cape, etc...). It cuts better, doesn't need wonder under, is heavier and wipes clean. However, paper is quicker, cheaper and there is a greater variety of colors and patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment